October 07, 2005

My Travels - Shanghai, 2005

Three cities in two weeks, late summer 2005---Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong. Unmistake-ably Chinese, yet different in many ways. Three modern cities forming a triangle over the Taiwan Strait can't be more different. But that goes for a lot of cities between US coasts, I guess, so I'll let it be.

(Three logs in a series...starting with Shanghai)

A tourist would profess to seeing a strong Western influence in Shanghai. I tried to stay away, checked-in outside of downtown, at the western side around the Changning district where my morning jogs sporting my bulging 40GB iPod brick marked me as a non-local. Because nobody jogs in the morning. And, yeah, because they prefer nano music players. Not the Apple Nano, but nanotech--nanopackage, nanostorage, nanoweight, nanoprice.

Visited one of the many high-rise homes that dot the city map. Imagine 20+ story buildings not for commerce but for dwelling. And lots of them. I guess in our US cities, a lot of us have suburbs we drive home to. Shanghai, and Beijing, which I also visited last year, people's commutes include an elevator to go back up home.

God bless the sun. Its free drying for laundry. You can't miss it in Shanghai as each home unit is plush with colored banners of clothing. Up to the 25th floor.



Staying off the beaten path has its benefits. Dinner didn't reach US$5.00 per person. Dynasty, an exclusive chain that exemplifies grandeur (royal facade, ballroom dining, multi-level venues, and yeah, good food) wouldn't choke me with a US$30 bill per seat. To compare: Ever been to a Chinese banquet, like for a wedding reception? Take that same feast but three times less. I won't forget Ajisen Ramen with all the noodle variety and bistro dining.

Haircut, shampoo, head massage, styling and pampering = US$5.00. No tipping needed, apparently, but I only learned afterwards. Do bathe at the hotel but leave shampoo and styling for the salon. Daily, if preferred, since you can afford it.

Venturing in...Gubei Road offered higher prices. Main Nanjing Road mirrors California shopping and prices. Southward, Huai Hai Lu (Road) offers an alternative to shopping and dining. And cheap goods galore at Xiang Yang public market where I got my dollar DVDs last year. Get your "cheap" North Face gear, Nike Shox, LV purses and the like, but I already got my 'cease and desist' warning before I even hit Customs. Pack skillfully. But 2 blocks off Huai Hai Lu, into Xin Tian Di, is California dining! One restaurant (I can't say "Chinese food." Its just "food" around there) was up to NorCal prices. Clientele markedly business elite subsidized by cost-conscious motherships back home.

Afternoon tea at the Grand Hyatt Cafe up 54 floors of the Jin Mao Tower. Fifth highest in the world up to its 88th floor. Overlooking the HuangPu River. Add the Oriental Pearl TV Tower to complete the Shanghai skyline.

The subway and taxis make the city accessible. But do have your hotel information when taking the cab. You might find wallet-size hotel business cards with the Concierge.

Had my PSP with me just so that I am linked wirelessly (wire-less-ly is such a noobie word). Turns out there's not a lot of free networks, yet. ChinaTel offers wide public wireless coverage but requires some amount of commitment, and it seems longer than a week. Perhaps a monthly subscription? I wasn't able to confirm. Starbucks obviously doesn't have T-Mobile's service. No luck at the airport either. But I enjoyed an hour at a cafe for US$2.00. Free at the Grand Hyatt.

Overall, a 9.

I'd like to thank my friend who grew up in Shanghai for the backroads experience.

No comments: